Below is a chronological account of the publication history of the PEP Archive. Each version of the PEP Archive contains the new journals and updated text for each year published. Beginning in 2014, the name of the PEP Archive was changed to reflect the year published rather than the sequential version number. After A1v9, the PEP Archive on DVD was discontinued. PEP-Web is now the only medium for the PEP Archive and has expanded to include video, and a forum for prepublication peer review.
has added another year of the current publications move out of the publisher’s embargo period: subscribers now have access to the 2014 issues of current journals with three year embargoes, and 2012 issues of journals with five year embargoes.
PEP has added new videos to its collection that will continue to grow through out the year.
To enhance your experience, PEP improved the precision of its links from references to articles, added original article PDF downloads and created an application for mobile devices (PEP Easy).
includes 4 new Journals and another year of the current publications move out of the publisher’s embargo period: subscribers now have access to the 2013 issues of current journals with three year embargoes, and 2011 issues of journals with five year embargoes.
The four new journals are:
- Psicoterapia e Scienze Umane (Italian; 1967 – present)
- Journal of Applied Psychoanalytic Studies (1999 – 2003)
- Chinese Annual of The International Journal of Psychoanalysis (Chinese; 2017)
- APA Revista de Psicoanalisis (Spanish; 1943 – 1970)
PEP has added many new videos.
Also, there is a new journal entry: Psychoanalysis, Self and Context. This is a new name for the International Journal of Applied Psychoanalysis, beginning in 2017.
includes nine new Journals and another year of the PEP Journals through 2012 for most of the journals and 2010 for a few other Journals with a five year embargo period. Full text is available for the Italian Psychoanalytic Annual and Division/Review through the current year.
The content includes Czech and Dutch Journals:
- Revue Psychoanalytická Psychoterapie (Czech; 1999 – present)
- Tijdschrift voor Psychoanalyse (Dutch; 1995 – present)
and seven Pre-war German Journals:
- Imago (German; 1912 – 1937)
- Almanach der Psychoanalyse (German; 1926 – 1938)
- Internationale Zeitschrift für Psychoanalyse (German; 1913 – 1941)
- Jahrbuch für Psychoanalytische und Psychopathologische Forschung (German; 1909 – 1914)
- Psychoanalytische Bewegung (German; 1929 – 1933)
- Zeitschrift für Psychoanalytische Pädagogik (German; 1926 – 1937)
- Zentralblatt für Psychoanalyse (German; 1911 – 1914)
A New Glossary- the “Psychoanalytic Terms and Concepts” by Auchincloss, E. L. and Samberg, E. (2012) is now added to the PEP Consolidated Glossary which provides enhanced linking and categorization of terms from multiple sources.
PEP has added two new videos from the PEP/UCL Top Authors Project. There are also new features added to PEP-Web to make support options easier and more accessible.
- Jahrbuch der Psychoanalyse (German; 1964 – current)
- DIVISION/Review (2011 – current)
- IJP en español (Spanish; 2015 – current)
There is also now full text access to another year of current data.
- 2011 issues now available for most PEP journals (most have a 3 year publication embargo)
- 2009 issues now available for American Imago and Psyche (these have a 5 year publication embargo)
PEP has also put up new videos, which are added as they become available.
- The first of the 2013 PEP Grant videos, “Black Psychoanalysts Speak” debuted in December
Published January 2014. It included five new journals in addition to updating PEP Journals to 2010. The new journals are:
- APM Revista de Psicoanalisis (Spanish; 1985 – current)
- Attachment: New Directions in Relational Psychoanalysis and Psychotherapy (2007 – current)
- British Journal of Psychotherapy (1984 – current)
- Romanian Journal of Psychoanalysis (2008 – current)
- Uluslararası Psikanaliz Yıllığı (IJP Turkish; 2009 – current)
PEP also added IJP Open, a new type of publication in Psychoanalysis. For the first time in the history of psychoanalytic publications, you are able to view papers submitted to the International Journal of Psychoanalysis before peer review and before the process of development and selection.
The new features include a new banner and look for its pages, with a new tag line: “A Psychoanalytic Library at Your Fingertips”.
The Freud Standard Edition and German Collected works have been integrated in such a way that by hovering the cursor over a paragraph of the GW, the users will get a pop-up of the equivalent translated paragraph in SE (and vice versa from SE to the German in GW).
Published September 2013, PEP added the complete contents (67 volumes) of the German language journal Psyche – Zeitschrift für Psychoanalyse to PEP Archive (1947 – 2013).
Release 1 was released at the end of January 2013. It included three new journals in addition to updating PEP Journals to 2009. The new journals are:
- Couple and Family Psychoanalysis (2011 – current)
- Organizational and Social Dynamics (2001 – current)
- Ετήσια ελληνική έκδοση (IJP Greek; 2012 – current)
- Psychodynamic Psychiatry (new name for the Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry)
27 new books were added:
- Abram, J. (2007) The Language of Winnicott: A Dictionary of Winnicott’s Use of Words
- Bodtker, J.S. (1990). Beyond Words: Interpretive Art Therapy.
- Glover, N. (2009). Psychoanalytic Aesthetics: An Introduction to the British School.
- Harris, M. (1975). Thinking about Infants and Young Children.
- Harris, M. (1999). Emily Dickinson in Time: Experience and its Analysis in Progressive Verbal Form.
- Harris, M. (2007). Your Teenager: Thinking about Your Child during the Secondary School Years.
- Harris, M. and Bick, E. (2011). The Tavistock Model: Papers on Child Development and Psychoanalytic Training.
- Jain, N. (1999). The Mind’s Extensive View: Samuel Johnson on Poetic Language.
- Meltzer, D. (1967). The Psycho-Analytical Process.
- Meltzer, D. (1973). Sexual States of Mind.
- Meltzer, D. (1978). The Kleinian Development.
- Meltzer, D. (1983). Dream-Life: A Re-Examination of the Psychoanalytic Theory and Technique.
- Meltzer, D. (1986). Studies in Extended Metapsychology: Clinical Applications of Bion’s Ideas.
- Meltzer, D. (1990). The Claustrum: An Investigation of Claustrophobic Phenomena.
- Meltzer, D. et al. (1975). Explorations in Autism: A Psycho-Analytical Study.
- Meltzer, D. et al. (2011). Adolescence: Talks and Papers. Adolescence: Talks and Papers.
- Meltzer, D., Williams, M.H. (1988). The Apprehension of Beauty: The Role of Aesthetic Conflict in Development, Art, and
- Money-Kyrle, R.E. (D. Meltzer Ed.) (1978). The Collected Papers of Roger Money-Kyrle.
- Negri, R. (1994). The Newborn in the Intensive Care Unit: A Neuropsychoanalytic Prevention Model.
- Negri, R., Williams, M.H. (2007). The Story of Infant Development: Observational Work with Martha Harris.
- Piontelli, A. (1985). Backwards in Time: A Study in Infant Observation by the Method of Esther Bick.
- Sanders, K. (1986). A Matter of Interest: Clinical Notes of a Psycho-Analyst in General Practice.
- Sanders, K. (1999). Nine Lives: The Emotional Experience in General Practice.
- Williams, M.H. (1987). A Strange Way of Killing: The Poetic Structure of Wuthering Heights.
- Williams, M.H. (2005). The Vale of Soulmaking: The Post-Kleinian Model of the Mind and its Poetic Origins.
- Williams, M.H. (2010). The Aesthetic Development: The Poetic Spirit of Psychoanalysis: Essays on Bion, Meltzer, Keats.
- Williams, M.H., Waddell, M. (1991). The Chamber of Maiden Thought: Literary Origins of the Psychoanalytic Model of the Psychoanalytic Model of the Mind.
was published in January 2012 and includes four new journals in addition to updating PEP Journals to 2008. The new journals are:
- International Journal of Applied Psychoanalytic Studies (2004 – current)
- Internationale Psychoanalyse (German; 2006 – current)
- Psychoanalytic Perspectives (2003 – current)
- Psychoanalytic Social Work (1987- current)
12 Books from the APsaA Monogram Series will be added and include:
- The Monograph Series of the Psychoanalytic Study of the Child, #3: Selected Problems of Adolescence
- The Monograph Series of the Psychoanalytic Study of the Child, #2: Early Childhood Disturbances, the Infantile Neurosis and the Adulthood Disturbances
- JAPA Monograph Series, #1: Ego Psychology and the Problem of Adaptation
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #9: The Therapeutic Alliance
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #7: Conflict and Compromise
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #6: Child and Adolescent Analysis
- JAPA Monograph Series, #4: Schur, Max. Id and the Regulatory Principles of Mental Functioning.
- Clinical Studies in Neuro-Psychoanalysis
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #3: The Interpretations of Dreams in Clinical Work
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #8: The Psychology and Treatment of Addictive Behavior
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #2: Reconstruction of Trauma
- Workshop Series of APsA, Monograph #1: Models of the Mind
was released in January 2011 and includes five new Journals in addition to updating PEP Journals to 2007. The journals are:
- Fort Da (2000 – current)
- American Journal of Psychoanalysis (1941 – current)
- Journal of Infant, Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy (2000 – current)
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy (1985 – current)
- Journal of Child Psychotherapy (1963 – current).
was released in January 2010. PEP will be featuring three new Journals, American Imago, Journal of Clinical Psychoanalysis and Psychoanalysis and History and a few special books: Psychoanalytic Practice: Principles, Volume 1 and Psychoanalytic Priactice: Clinical Studies. Volume 2 by Thoma and Kachele. Further, PEP is publishing the German Freud Standard Edition, “Gesammelte Werke” and all the included Editorial Notes.
has upgraded the PEP Search Engine Mach III, which contains a set of features such as ways to filter multiple languages, glossary tools, and other enhancements such as “What’s New?”, showing new material, a citation function, statistics of most cited and the most read PEP articles, expanded search criteria, and a powerful glossary of psychoanalytic terms integrated from four key Psychoanalytic Glossaries. PEP’s initial glossary implementation contains four resources: the Language of Psychoanalysis (Laplanche and Pontalis), The Edinburgh International Encyclopaedia of Psychoanalysis (Skelton), Glossary of Psychoanalytic Terms and Concepts(Moore and Fine), and the Dictionary of Kleinian Thoughts (Hinshelwood) and the Glossary of Psychoanalysis in Europe (Junkers).
and future versions will be available in two releases each year. Each January, PEP Journals are updated as well as adding some new Journals. In July of each year, PEP will focus more on feature updates that enhance the PEP Search Engine and make PEP-Web more user-friendly.
was published on January 20 2009. It contains an annual data release for the PEP Journals through 2006, as well as eight additional Journals. The DVD (A1v8 release 2) launched in October 2009:
- International Journal of Psychoanalytic Self Psychology (2006 – current)
- Italian Psychoanalytic Annual (2007 – current)
- Journal of Analytical Psychology (1955 – current)
- L’Annata Psicoanalitica Internazionale (Italian; 2005 – current)
- L’Année Psychanalytique Internationale (French; 2003 – current)
- Revue Belge de Psychanalyse (French; 1982 – current)
- Rivista di Psicoanalisi (Italian; 1955 – current)
- Rivista Italiana di Psicoanalisi (Italian; 1932 -1934)
was published April 2008. This edition includes updated content (up to and including 2005) for many of the 20 existing PEP journals, as well as:
- Bulletin of the Anna Freud Centre (1978 – 1995)
- Free Associations (1984 – current)
- Modern Psychoanalysis (1976 – current )
- Psychoanalysis and Contemporary Science (1972 – 1976)
- Psychoanalysis and Contemporary Thought (1978 – 2003)
- Psychoanalytic Review (1913 – current )
A1v7 also includes the following newly added classic psychoanalytic texts:
- Anderson, R. (1992). Clinical Lectures on Klein and Bion.
- Balint, M. (1979). The Basic Fault: Therapeutic Aspects of Regression.
- Boehlich, W. (Ed.) (1990). The Letters of Sigmund Freud to Eduard Silberstein 1871-1881.
- Bowlby, J. (1969). Attachment and loss: Vol. 1: Attachment.
- Bowlby, J. (1973). Attachment and loss: Vol. 2: Separation.
- Bowlby, J. (1980). Attachment and loss: Vol.3: Loss.
- Ferenczi, S. et al. (1921). Psychoanalysis and the War Neurosis.
- Ferenczi, S. (1952). First contributions to psychoanalysis.
- Fichtner, G. (2003). The Sigmund Freud Ludwig Binswagner Correspondence 1908-1938.
- Freud, E. (Ed.) (1961). Letters of Sigmund Freud 1973-1939.
- Freud, E. (1970). The Letters of Sigmund Freud and Arnold Zweig.
- Groddeck, G. (1977). The Meaning of Illness: Selected Psycho-Analytic Writings.
- Jones, E. (1972). Sigmund Freud Life and Work, Volume One: The Young Freud 1856-1900.
- Jones, E. (1955). Sigmund Freud Life and Work, Volume Two: Years of Maturity 1901-1919.
- Jones, E. (1957). Sigmund Freud Life and Work, Volume Three: The Last Phase 1919-1939.
- Joseph, B. (1989). Psychic Equilibrium and Psychic Change.
- Meng, H. and Freud, E. L. (Ed). (1963). Psychoanalysis and faith: the letters of Sigmund Freud and Oskar Pfister.
- Milner, M. (1969). The Hands of the Living Gods.
- Milner, M. The Suppressed Madness of Sane Men.
- Pfeiffer, E. (Ed) (1972). Sigmund Freud and Lou Andreas-Salome: Letters.
- Racker, H. (1968). Transference and Counter Transference.
- Rickman, J. (1957) Selected Contributions to Psycho-Analysis.
- Sandler, J., Michels, R. and Fonagy, P. (2000). Changing Ideas In A Changing World: The Revolution in Psychoanalysis.
- Wallerstein, R. (1998). Lay Analysis.
- Wallerstein, R. (1986). 42 Lives in Treatment.
Published December 2006: included the addition of content up to and including 2002 for all 20 of the existing PEP journals and the addition of the Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud (1886-1939).
Published July 2005: included the addition of content up to and including 2002 for the existing 11 PEP journals, as well as the addition of 7 new journals
- Canadian Journal of Psychoanalysis (1993 – current)
- Gender and Psychoanalysis (1996 – current)
- International Forum of Psychoanalysis (1992 – current)
- Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis 1973 – 2011)
- Neuropsychoanalysis (1999 – current)
- Progress in Self Psychology (1983 – 2004)
- Studies in Gender and Sexuality (2000 – current)
A1v5 also saw the addition of 7 classic books:
- Brabant, E., Falzeder, E., Giampieri-Deutsch (1993). The Correspondence of Sigmund Freud and Sandor Ferenczi, Volume 1, 1908-1914.
- Falzeder, E. & Brabant, E. eds. (1996). The correspondence of Sigmund Freud and Sandor Ferenczi, Volume 2, 1914-1919.
- Falzeder, E. & Brabant, E. eds. (2000). The correspondence of Sigmund Freud and Sandor Ferenczi, Volume 3, 1920-1933.
- Paskauskas, R.A. (1993) The Complete Correspondence of Sigmund Freud and Ernest Jones 1908-1939.
- McGuire, W. (1974). The Freud Jung/Letters: The Correspondence Between Sigmund Freud and C.G. Jung.
- Masson, J.M. (1985). The Complete Letters of Sigmund Freud To Wilhelm Fliess, 1887-1904.
- Falzeder (2002). The Complete Correspondence of Sigmund Freud and Karl Abraham 1907-1925.
Published January 2004: included two years’ worth of content (up to and including 2000) for the existing 8 PEP journals, as well as the addition of 3 new journals
- Annual of Psychoanalysis (1973 – current)
- Psychoanalytic Psychology (1984 – current)
- Scandinavian Psychoanalytic Review (1978 – current)
A1v4 also saw the addition of 23 classic psychoanalytic books:
- Klein, M. (1961). Narrative of a Child Analysis
- Klein, M. (1932). The Psycho-Analysis of Children
- Winnicott, DW (1965). The Maturational Processes and the Facilitating Environment
- Winnicott, D. W. (1971). Therapeutic Consultations in Child Psychiatry
- Laplanche, J and Pontalis, J.B. (1973). The Language of Psycho-Analysis
- Winnicott, W.D. (1975). Through Paediatrics to Psycho-Analysis
- Klein, M. (1975). Envy and Gratitude and Other Works 1946-1963
- Winnicott, D. W. (1980). The Piggle
- Winnicott, D.W. (1986). Holding and Interpretation
- Anzieu D. (1986). Freud’s Self-Analysis
- Rosenfeld, H. (1987). Impasse and Interpretation
- Matte-Blanco, I. (1988). Thinking, Feeling, and Being
- King P. and Steiner, R. (1991). The Freud-Klein Controversies 1941-45
- Bion, W.R. (1959). Attention and Interpretation
- Bion, W.R. (1962). Learning from Experience
- Bion, W.R. (1963). Elements of Psycho-Analysis
- Bion, W.R. (1965). Transformations
- Bion, W.R. (1970). Experiences in Groups And Other Papers
- Fairbairn, W.R.D. (1952). Psychoanalytic Studies of the Personality
- Spence, D.P. (1982). Narrative Truth and Historical Truth
- Stern, D.N. (1985). The Interpersonal World of the Infant
- Winnicott, D. W. (1971). Playing and Reality
- Winnicott, D. W. (1987a). The Spontaneous Gesture
Published June 2001: included one year’s worth of content (up to and including 1998) for the existing 6 PEP Journals, as well as the addition of two new journals
- Psychoanalytic Dialogues (1991 – current)
- Psychoanalytic Inquiry (1981 – current)
Published May 2000: included three years’ worth of new content (up to and including 1997) for the same 6 PEP journals.
- Contemporary Psychoanalysis.
- The International Journal of Psycho-Analysis (1920 – current)
- The International Review of Psycho-Analysis (1974 – 1992)
- The Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association (1953 – current)
- The Psychoanalytic Quarterly (1932 – current)
- The Psychoanalytic Study of the Child (1945 – current)